Wednesday, September 12, 2007

music video monday (on wednesday)

Alan Jackson "Where Were You"

Since this week was September 11th, I thought I'd do a little remembering to 6 years ago and the moments, I don't think many will ever forget.

I was teaching at the MTC and had just walked in about 6:30a.m. when some friends asked if I had seen the news yet, and I said "no". They told me and I was shocked and dumbfounded. I couldn't believe this was all happening. We had a short teacher's meeting that morning and talked about how to help the missionaries deal with it all..and crazy enough, I was just on the end of teaching my first district. Half of my district had left that morning early. And where you might ask? You guessed it...they were called to serve in New York City. The remaining missionaries I had were to go to Washington D.C. We had an incredible discussion that morning about the opportunities that they would have in teaching people who had many questions about what had happened and the role that God played in it all.

I can also still remember the incredible amount of pride I had in being an American the next few weeks as everything unfolded. I remember driving down the road filled with American flags at every home on the street. I remember hearing President Bush talking about prayer and pleading for everyone to pray. I remember wishing that it didn't have to take such extreme circumstances to remember how grateful I was for the land that I lived in the blessings that it afforded me. I remember coming home and watching for hours the coverage they had on the attacks. And every September 11th from then until I am gone, I will think about what happened, where I was, what has changed since then, all of the many lives that this tragedy affected and how not to take my freedoms that I have for granted. I cannot be grateful enough to live here in our country, for the men and women who have given their lives, and who still do risk their lives for my freedoms, and am grateful that I have reminders of just how lucky I am.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

I just wanted to say thank you for sharing that! It was beautiful.

Nate and Jessica said...

I remember EXACTLY what I was doing as well. And just crying and crying that day. That was such a sad day.

Anne Woods said...

i love your music videos. That's a great idea.. plus I have downloading a few of them... i am not that on top of music, I need others help! Glad to be home and looking forward to getting together. Hope Seattle is fun!