Friday, June 13, 2008

a non-stop flight?

oh, i was so excited to finally have a non- stop flight home from san diego..mostly because i think the layovers are the worst part of the day, so was estatic to know that all i had was a 4 1/2 hour plane ride to columbus from san diego and would be home by 8 pm...hmmm. apparently non-stop flights don't work like this anymore! first we stopped in phoenix, which i got over when they told me that we would just stay on the plane and it would be less than 1/2 hour till we were on our way to columbus. imagine my delight when 1/2 hour went by and over the intercom they announced that we would all be deboarding our flight so they could board ANOTHER flight and send them to seattle!!!what!!! this is where the story gets interesting...

while in the phoenix airport for 2 hours, i tell my boys to stay on the carpet so i can keep my eye on them and so they didn't run into anyone. suddenly a man comes up to me and says: "i have 2 pieces of advice for you" (i should've told him "no, thank you")...and he continues, "#1...let your boys run wherever they want" "why should i do that?", i ask. "they have so much energy and aren't hurting anyone", he says. "interesting.", was my reply. "#2, you should stop dressing them alike. they are going to grow up hating each other!"..and he was dead serious. attention all you crazies who think you have great advice...KEEP IT TO YOURSELF!

so we finally get on the plane and 3 1/2 hours into our 4 hour flight, lincoln starts to throw a tantrum..a 2 year old tantrum (and all of you with 2 year olds know you can't do ANYTHING about a 2 year old tantrum..even bribing doesn't work!)...so i just let him throw it...and thats when i notice a woman kitty corner from me staring rudely at me. now let me start off by saying that this has happened before and i have said nothing, but wish i had..and by this point of my "non-stop flight" i was fed up. so.....i stared back at her and asked, "what would you like me to do?" "well, maybe next time you could bring 2 pairs of headphones!" she says. "he doesn't like headphones," i answer, "now what would you like me to do!" "well, maybe you should try something like play with him or something," she quips back. "you have obviously never had children, so shut your mouth," i said, finishing the conversation. consequently, she turned back around and like any 3 year old would do, plugged her ears the last 30 minutes..(lincoln's crying had stopped when i was talking to her..the only 5 minutes of the whole flight he had cried!)

lessons learned? don't get your heart set on a non-stop flight. end conversations as quickly as possible that start with, "let me give you some advice." (its one thing coming from people you know, and who know you!) be more compassionate to people who have children on a plane...i have loved it on planes when i can pass on a snack or activity to a mom who is WORKING HARD to keep her kids happy and they just aren't..and vice versa. and to all of you who passed me on the plane and said, "good job, mom, your kids were great!"..thank you, and i thought they did great too!:)

5 comments:

Nate and Jessica said...

You are such a trooper. I have vowed to oNly do non-stops now...but maybe that's not even a good idea!

Annie said...

Oh, flying with kids alone is the worst. I am glad that you made it back in one piece and that your kids did so well even if those around you didn't!

emily and kevin griffin said...

whoa, kiki got a bit feisty...i'm glad. thank goodness that trip is over for now!

Scott Family said...

oh man, kiki!! I am so sorry. what is with rude people? I was so fed up by the end of my flight with their lack of understanding of a 2 yr. old. I mean, really.. what do they expect us to do when they are throwing a tantrum? I am glad that you at least stood up to her. That is too funny. Maybe next time I'll take you with me to stand up to all the yelling passengers.

The Taylor's said...

I know how you feel! Flying is hard enough when the kids are good, but when they throw those terrible two tantrums, look out! I'm so sorry, I'm glad that you are home safe and sound! If you want to try out a flight with dirty looks, just fly into Palm Springs! The plane is filled with old, grouchy people who probably have dogs for kids! Good luck and talk to you soon!