Wednesday, November 11, 2009

setting goals and reaching them. a triathlon story.

6 months ago, Ben's dad and brother did a triathlon that they both just raved about. And they had an idea. "Let's do it all together in 6 months!", they said. And we said yes. So many times in the last 4 months we wondered exactly why we said yes. But it gave us something to wake up at 6 am to workout for, and something to make us workout at 10 pm every night. There was some sort of excitement we had in both working toward the same goal, in sweating every day to achieve it and then ultimately in finishing the triathlon together. What a fun and memorable thing it ended up being to do together. It's so fun to set goals and then reach them, but it makes it even better to do it with my husband.



So here Ben is...starting our day out at 5 am headed off to the race.

The car was packed and ready to go.



nice bikes..and a banana peel? yep, that was ben's breakfast. he forgot the bikes were on top, so when he threw it out the window and didn't see it land on the ground, he was thoroughly confused until his brother, Calvin, reminded him the bikes were on top! We laughed SOOO hard...it could have been from the nerves, or lack of sleep, but it was pretty darn funny.

here we are getting things ready at the transition area.





here we are before the start of the swim. IT. WAS. CRAZY. I wouldn't usually put a picture like this up of myself...but I just always want to remember this moment.:)


ben and calvin getting ready to take off...see all the people on the boats ready to save anyone who needs it?! crazy.



then the biking took place...and it was good until the monstrous hill at the end which about killed me.:)


when I finished, the kids were there with Ben's mom to cheer me on...it was so nice to see them, and REALLY nice to see the finish line.
When I came to see the kids, Booker was often found doing this:
waiting for his dad:

and still waiting...

and then he saw them...

and ran with them...so sweet.
I think it's safe to say they were also happy to see the finish line.

and they finished.


here we are afterwards..#55-58. sweet.
and the kids you ask? what exactly did they do while we were racing?



maizie tested out the powerade..and gave it 2 thumbs up.
and the boys? I asked Lincoln what he was doing when I saw this...
"Mom, I am just making the groundhog a bigger hole to live in." Then he promptly put his hand down the hole and said, "But it's kind of yucky because I just put my hand in poop."SICK!!
It was so fun and so worth every ounce of sweat put into it. Thanks, Tod and Calv, for doing it with us, and Kim for taking the kiddos!

Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS!!!!!
great pics.looks like an awesome day.
michele

Gazdik Family said...

You are awesome!! Was it a full triathlon? Crazy!! And how sexy is that that you worked out and completed this race with your hot husband!! Fearsome four is what you guys are.
(And to think that you bake, sew, paint, build, cook, creat a cosy and loving home, recite scriptures and hymns and so much more.....
what is up with that!?!)

Kara said...

You are awesome...I could never. Love the booker pictures!

cheeks said...

you guys are AWE. SOME. :)

i think i got the chills seeing those pics of booker seeing his dad and then running with him! so cute! i'm sure that gave ben a little extra burst of energy at the end!

I hope that little groundhog is thankful for lincoln this month! too cute!

Megan Melver said...

nice your shirt!!! ur a freaking stud!!!
nothing more exciting than pooooo:)

Annie said...

Wohooo! Congrats on a great finish, that is a huge accomplishment. That last picture cracks me up. There should be a warning sign, "no digging near the port-a-potty." Great job again!

Tod and Kim Comin said...

What I want to know is what you and Ben are doing next May? Ready for a repeat??

Thanks for sharing the pictures!
Tod

Melinda said...

You guys are awesome! Hopefully Drew and I will be doing it with you guys next time! How do you workout together with kids? That is what I struggle the most with. I am way impressed.

Nate and Jessica said...

How awesome Kiki. I love the banana peel picture of course. And the palm trees in the background! So proud of you!